Art Students Make Healing Art for Children Under Memory Project

Kim Landers

Healing Art: Under the Memory Project, North Atlanta art students recreated photos of children from war-torn areas and will send that art back to the children to give them reasons to smile and have hope.

Art can bringing healing. And some North Atlanta art students have had the opportunity to use their artistic skills to extend healing toward needy and distressed children in other parts of the world.

The Memory Project gives students a chance to connect with a child from another country who is living in conditions much worse than theirs. The Memory Project is a non-profit organization that first started in 2004. It delivers portraits made by art students to children in war-torn or economically distressed parts of the globe. This year marked the school’s first-ever participation in the program and art students here received photos of children from distressed parts of Afghanistan. Art students then recreated the photo in a highly stylized drawing or painting. The Memory Project art was on display during this year’s end-of-year art exhibition which took place on May 3.

The finished art will be sent back to the children. In so doing, artists here are utilizing their talent to cheer and inspire a child far away. “It’s the perfect reminder of the power of art,” said art instructor Kimberly Landers. “It’s all like an artistic hand of friendship being sent from our school to some kids who can really use the positive affirmation. Think about it: If you have nothing and somebody sent you a drawing it really makes you feel cared about.”

The majority of Memory Project art student participants are members of North Atlanta’s National Art Honor Society. Other contributors were culled from the ranks of International Baccalaureate Diploma Program students along with students in Drawing and Painting 1 and Advanced Placement art classes.

Seniors have begun to wrap up their final year of high school and with that comes goodbyes to teachers and classmates. The Memory Project marked one of the final projects seniors took on. “It makes me feel nice that one of the last things I am doing is not just doing something for the school but giving back to other communities, as well,” said senior Fiona Blom.

The school received a grant to pay for the project. The school used the grant money for the shipping and handling of the art. Under the grant, North Atlanta also made a contribution to people living in war-torn areas.

Healing art made at a high school in Atlanta, Georgia, is currently inspiring people here in Buckhead. And when North Atlanta’s Memory Project art reaches its final final destination it will bring smiles to disadvantaged children all over the world.