Filed under News

North Atlanta Theater Students Perform at APD’s Women’s History Month Event

Force Supporters: Theater department students junior Chloe Senter and sophomore Lenox Johnson were among those who sang at a recent Atlanta Police Women’s History Month Luncheon on March 16.

Bailey Diamond

Bailey Diamond

For the first time in Atlanta Police Department history, an opportunity for high school students to participate in the Annual Women’s History Month Luncheon was awarded to the talented students of the North Atlanta Theater Department.

The luncheon was called “Women in Blue Lights” and was held on March 16 at the Atlanta Police Department headquarters downtown. The event’s emcee was Rose Scott, host of the midday radio news program “Closer Look” which is heard on 90.1 FM: WABE, Atlanta’s National Public Radio affiliate station.  

As the ceremony began, the doors flooded with decorated women police officers, deputies and various administrators. The sheer number of uniforms in the hall quickly gained it the title of “the safest room in the city.” Among the crowd sat Deputy Chief Stacie Gibbs alongside Atlanta Chief of Police Erika Shields.  

Following a brief flag ceremony by decorated city servants, student performers Loreley Nava, Chloe Senter and Lenox Johnson took the stage to perform their rendition of “The Star Spangled Banner” before the invitees. The students, both honored and excited, were humbled to receive such an esteemed privilege. “I was honored to be in a room full of of powerful women who not only help the community, but also risk their lives for the well-being of others,” said senior Loreley Nava.

But, the North Atlanta Theatre Departement wasn’t done yet. The department’s student representatives for the event were Nava, senior Chloe Senter, junior Taz Graves, and sophomore Lenox Johnson. The group of students performed a dramatic reading of the poem “She’s a Brave Woman” in tribute to the officers in the room and their bravery. For the event, the performers were accompanied by Carlos Hooper, Theater Department chair.

The high honor of performing for sworn police officers was not lost on the North Atlanta students. “I was grateful and honored perform for these powerful women,” said performer Taz Graves. “It was a fun and truly enlightening experience”

Many of the women in the audience were nominated for individual awards for their performance in the past year. Awards included high honors such as “Officer of the Year” and “Best Rookie.” Winners were often moved to tears as they stepped up to receive their honorary certificate and handshake with Police Chief Shields. The example set by the officers proved an excellent model for the aspirations and expectations for the North Atlanta students.

Following the awards ceremony, student performer Johnson sang Mariah Carey’s hit single “Hero.” The ceremonial ballad served as the perfect testament to the tireless service and dedication of the women in the room.

The ceremony closed with touching words from both Scott and Police Chief Shields. North Atlanta students participated as the ceremony came to a close and as a last act of appreciation, the audience rose to their feet in standing ovation for the brave women and their service, serving as the perfect ending to a successful day.