UNC Chapel Hill-Bound Leo Culp Put the “Student” Into “Student Athlete”

Cady Studios

Fierce Competitor: Senior soccer captain Leo Culp always brought the intensity whether it was on the soccer pitch or in the classroom.

“Brother,” “son,” “leader,” “scholar” and “athlete” are some of the words people can use to describe Leo Culp. When he starts at the University of North Carolina (UNC) in the fall, Culp will be leaving his life as a high school student. In leaving North Atlanta’s 11 stories — and generating thousands of stories of his own — the senior has been able to put a lot in his now pretty-much-overflowing memory bank.

He’s been accepted into one of the top public institutions of higher learning in the country. And that would imply he also put every effort into putting the “student” into “student athlete.” He’s maintained a high GPA while slogging it through the school’s rigorous International Baccalaureate program. His noteworthy academic bona fides were richly proven this year with his recent naming as “All Region Academic Team” for the 6A 7 Region that the Warriors play in.

Tough in the classroom, Culp was always a fierce competitor on the soccer pitch. A four-year veteran of the varsity team, he played both as a defensive fullback and as a midfielder. Constant leadership among his peers culminated in his being named as a team captain during this, his senior season. “Being able to lead something that you’ve been a part of for so long is a great honor and it was just a great experience,” he said.

Culp credits the school and his soccer-playing years with developing him as a person. “Where the team is concerned, we’ve seen our highs and lows,” he said. “But that’s just the sport – and this region,” he said. “As for North Atlanta, this school has been great for me in so many ways. I really do I feel prepared for what’s to come later in life,” he said.  

He said his senior year has been a blur, but it’s been a manageable blur mostly because his schedule set up correctly. “This has been my favorite year. There was some stress in the first semester, but now my work has paid off and this second semester has been a lot easier for me,” he said.

Culp was accepted into the Honors Program at University of North Carolina. Both of his parents attended the prestigious school so becoming a Tar Heel was an easy decision for him. He intends to study journalism there. “They had a lot of influence in directing me there, but I have fallen in love with the school and the place so it’s 100 percent my decision,” he said.

After so many memories were made with his friends at North Atlanta, Culp can leave without regrets and a high head for the years ahead of him. He’s bound to become a Tar Heel, but no matter where Leo Culp goes, he remains a North Atlanta Warrior.