Filed under Features, Showcase

AP Lincoln Woods: A New Leader Among the Warriors

New View: New assistant principal Lincoln Woods is prepared for a great year of guiding students through the challenging and exciting high school years.

Maddy Carter

Maddy Carter

His full name is Lincoln Woods III, a name stemming from the fact that he’s a third and is named after both his father and grandfather. The new school leader who dons a well-kept suit and sports a welcoming smile is way more than a lofty name. The assistant principal – also the ninth grade academy leader — has a deep passion for athletics and education. But, exactly who is he?

Beyond his academy responsibilities, Woods also oversees the English Language Arts Department and school athletics. So far, the veteran APS administrator is working on the details of a mentoring program and extended his passion of playing chess by providing chess boards for students to engage in friendly competition on the 4th floor, where he can be found meeting and greeting students every morning. Additionally, he has a son who is a junior at North Atlanta and who is also a member of the football team. Through his son, Woods is able to keep abreast of all the highlights, challenges and responsibilities associated with being one of many leaders on the team.

“My role here? I have been afforded an awesome opportunity to motivate, support and mentor more than 500 plus freshmen, who are all eagerly exploring high school life at THE North Atlanta High School! So wish me luck,” said the Atlanta native. “It used to be a running joke that you seldom meet natives from Atlanta, but here I am.”

His passion for teaching is rooted in his belief that education can elevate everyone, along with the fact that his late grandmother taught for more than 30 years in the very same school that he landed his first teaching position.

His passion for sports was born from years of competition as both a football and baseball player. He pursued his passion for athletics throughout school by playing both baseball and football, but was given a scholarship in baseball on the collegiate level. “As a school administrator I am consciously aware of the positive benefits of a winning sports program and what type of culture can be elevated around a school because of it,” Woods said. “Our ‘continual focus’ on creating a winning sports culture is one of many goals for improving our school.”

Woods said he looks forward to  a year of growth and learning alongside the more than 1,900 students as well as the North Atlanta staff. His ultimate goal is to help the “future” our youth develop with their unique personalities and position themselves to be successful in whichever career or college they pursue upon graduation. “I’ve always been told, write your own story. Don’t let anyone write it for you,” he said.