Filed under News, Showcase

New Tardy Policy Makes Sure Students Arrive on Time

Too Little Too Late: Junior Yasiah Jamison, senior Joshua Johnson and junior Giannys Roman race to class in order to avoid the weight of the new tardy policy bearing down upon them.

Olivia Chewning

Olivia Chewning

Olivia Chewning

Don’t be late. Why? Because there’s a new policy in town.

Created this school year, the school’s new late policy is designed to ensure that all students make it to class on time. In place since the year’s beginning have been stricter rules for those who are late or absent on a regular basis. Detention will be given to students who are not coming to class and other privileges will be taken away if the problem continues. The new policy will begin to get students back into the classroom and make sure that they are making the most out of their class time.

Assistant Principal Lakecia Bonner is the administrator who oversees the implementation of the new policy that started on Aug. 8, a date that fell a few days after the Aug. 1 first day of school. The delay was rooted in a desire to give students time to adjust to new classes and schedule changes. This year, both the attendance and tardy policy will be stricter and this is to ensure that students are learning as much as they possibly can. “It has been shown that students who spend more time in the classroom are more likely to succeed, and that just makes sense,” said Bonner.

The policy gives students detention for every four tardies they have in one class. And to put some teeth in the policy, students will be given ISS if they skip detention.  Privileges such as homecoming, prom, and the right to drive can also be taken away because of a buildup of tardies. “I am going to make sure to show up to class to make sure I don’t miss anything like homecoming or prom,” said junior Ava Behan-Sahib.

Bonner is not only introducing a new tardy policy but new grade level competitions discourages tardies and absences in a more positive way. At the end of each month the grade with the least amount of absences and tardies will win prizes such as ice cream or pizza among other awards. Perfect attendance for individual students will also be rewarded and these students will be recognized through Student of the Month.

Let’s face it: To get the most out of class you have to be there and be on time. So maybe pick up your step, don’t talk to that one friend, and make it toward your algebra class with a little more urgency. It’s never too late to make new habits.