Filed under News, Showcase

Georgia Governor’s Race Promising Unprecedented Results

Race to Victory: Sophomores Ben Blauser and Zoe Glickman both show their support for the two candidates moving to win in the Georgia Governor's Race.

Olivia Chewning

Olivia Chewning

Olivia Chewning

November sixth’s gubernatorial election will be one for the history books. Months of intense campaigning have led up to the final standoff between Republican Brian Kemp and Democratic Stacey Abrams. North Atlanta’s newest voters will be heading to the polls, eagerly awaiting their chance to exercise their 26th amendment right to vote.

Republican nominee Brian Kemp attracts voters who identify more with the conservative right. Kemp is Georgia’s 27th secretary of state and a former senator who plans to ‘Put Georgia First’ by working with small businesses, cutting taxes, and supporting rural communities. Kemp’s outspoken demeanor and straightforward campaign ads have appealed to those who are looking for a candidate with a stricter, more direct stance on complex issues such as immigration and gun control. Junior Garrett Davis is one such constituent who approves of Kemp’s policies. “I think Kemp will cut regulations for the economy. I like how he is not afraid to speak exactly what is on his mind,” he said.

Representing the left wing of the political spectrum is Democratic nominee and former Georgia house minority leader Stacy Abrams. Abrams envisions her campaign as a ‘movement for all Georgians.’ Winning this election would make Abrams America’s first African-American female governor. Abrams takes a more liberal stance on some of the controversial topics, such as opposing abortion restrictions, promising to work for common sense gun legislation, expanding healthcare to the poor, and working with Republicans to strengthen bipartisanship in Georgia. Abrams has won over many voters in all areas of Georgia by campaigning in every county in Georgia. Senior Sonia Heredia admires Abram’s campaign. “I think we need more women representatives, and I like the policies she has as well as the work she has done before,” she said

The November sixth election is quickly approaching, and early voting in Georgia has already opened. The race is sure to be a close one, with two polar opposite candidates whose policies and opinions are complete paradoxes of each other. But no matter the outcome, it will not be an election Georgians will be soon to forget.