In Case You Missed It: A Rundown of the Golden Globes

Golden Globes

Grand Ol’Time: Hosts Andy Samberg and Sandra Oh prepare the audience for the Golden Globes event. Here’s a recap.

Oh, the Golden Globes: One of Hollywood’s most exclusive and renowned nights. At the start of every year, celebrities from all around the world come to support their actor friends, have a nice night, or even to win an award. As with every award show, viewers and critics alike had a lot to say about this year’s Golden Globes. Here are some key moments that make this year’s show stand out from years prior.

The program began with a safe and family-friendly monologue as opposed to last year’s jabs at Harvey Weinstein from hosts Andy Samberg and Sandra Oh. After some playful zingers towards famous actors, Oh shared a heartfelt and emotional show of gratitude towards her parents, who had come to watch her host.

Movies like “Bohemian Rhapsody,” “If Beale Street Could Talk,” and “Green Book” dominated the awards ceremony with two, three, and five awards, respectively. Actor Rami Malek, who portrayed Queen lead singer Freddie Mercury in “Bohemian Rhapsody,” sparked a bit of controversy upon winning the award for Best Actor In A Drama Film. Critics and audiences had mixed feelings toward the movie, the majority feeling that the film was unworthy of any awards. Sophomore Sophie Terraso saw Bohemian Rhapsody in theaters late last year. “I think Rami Malek is really talented,” she said. “But I think the movie was a four-out-of-ten.”

Strange things happen at every awards show but perhaps the most odd to happen in a while took place at this year’s Golden Globes. To the reminiscent beat of the 2009 song “Shots” by LMFAO, people came rushing out from the stage into the audiences, giving actors surprise flu shots. “I liked the Golden Globes but the flu shot part was kind of weird. What the heck was going on?” said sophomore Sophie Peck.

All in all, this years Golden Globes was a success. Good movies won awards in different fields and everyone had a fun time. However, the length of the show three long hours was too much for some North Atlanta students. “I watched a little bit of it, but it was so long and got pretty boring and tedious,” said sophomore Madeline White.

Hopefully next year, the Golden Globes will cut the shenanigans, and reduce the total runtime. After all, we’ve tuned in to watch our favorites receive their justified awards, not to see Willem Dafoe receive a “surprise” flu shot.