Teaching Assistant Lee Lundy Loves Literature

Olivia Chewning

Because of Mr. Terupt: Teacher Assistant Lee Lundy comes to North Atlanta with the goal of pursuing his teaching career.

Growing up in a small little place called Cedartown in northwest Georgia, Lee Lundy always had a love for English. He’s currently a student teacher under the direction of his mentor teacher Emily Galloway and he said he’s enjoying his time among the students of North Atlanta.

Lundy spent all his time in school pouring over books and analyzing writers so that one day he could share his ideas with youth and educate them. And now, in Galloway’s 10th World Literature classroom, he has at last reached his goal.

For college, Lundy attended Oglethorpe University where he majored in theater and English for his undergraduate degree. After receiving his bachelor’s degree, he moved on to Georgia State University where he is pursuing a master’s degree in Secondary English Education. Lundy plans on getting his teaching certification in May so that he can soon start his career educating children on the world of English. “Literature has always been a friend to me,” he said. “It’s something I can go to to reflect on my life and I think it’s an important skill.”

Lundy’s teaching style is clearly connecting with students. In asking any of those who are in the classes he teaches, there is unbridled expressed enthusiasm.

As a teaching assistant, Lundy does important tasks such as helping create assessments, grading papers, facilitating lessons in class, and holding written assignment discussions to help prepare students for the IB program. He works 40 hours a week without pay, which is how you know he loves his job more than anything. Well, almost anything.

The only thing more important to him than his career is his basset hound Melody, with whom he hikes on Sweetwater Trail alongside the Chattahoochee River in his free time. Lundy loves the outdoors and getting exercise in, which is why he loves taking his dog out on walks. “She’s two years old and she’s the cutest thing in the world,” said Lundy.

Only 25 years old, Lee Lundy is hoping to join North Atlanta after he finishes his degree because of his enjoyment for the positive environment his sophomore-level students have created for him. He looks forward to a great rest of the year and hopes to come back after his degree is complete. “The feeling of family and school spirit here is unrecognizable anywhere else,” said Lundy, “I can’t imagine teaching at any other school.”

Going from small town to city and student to teacher, Lundy has discovered his home in Atlanta. North Atlanta has brought him more than he could have ever expected and he is happy to be here, just like we are happy to have him.