Student Bands Rock Out Our 11 Stories

As we all know, North Atlanta is full of talented young students, and some of them have started taking their skills to the stage. This year alone a number of bands have begun to pop up across the school and are even getting ready to perform at the upcoming North Atlanta talent show, North Star. They are excited for a chance to broadcast their musical talents for the whole school to hear.

One of the bands that were recently started is a rock band called Southbound. The band consists of juniors Seth Fagin, the drummer; junior Jack Brecher, lead singer; junior Chase Mathison, bass; and sophomore guitarist James Shaw. They play top rock hits such as “Mary Jane’s Last Dance” by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, “Free Bird” by Lynyrd Skynyrd, and “Sweet Child O’ Mine” by Guns N’ Roses. The bands practicies weekly at Fagin’s home where they work up new songs and perfect those already in their repertoire. “I love to just jam out with the guys and get closer as friends and as bandmates,” said Seth. “ We are always trying to get better and make sure our music is the best it can be.”

Southbound will usually work on songs separately and on weekends get together and play the songs they have learned. Recently, the band has begun to prepare for the upcoming North Atlanta talent show, North Star. They will be performing their fan-favorite song “Free Bird” and are hoping to blow away the rest of the competition so they are working day and night to perfect their craft.

Another thriving band at North Atlanta is Houston’s Problem. North Atlanta band members — both juniors — are J.R. Chambers, pianist and singer; and Kellan O’Donnell, drummer. Other band members are from private schools in the area. The band has been performing for about a year now and features 70s rock songs such as “Can’t you see” by The Marshall Tucker Band,  “Brown Eyed Women” by Grateful Dead, and “Soul Shine” by Allman Brothers Band. Although Houston’s Problem will not be playing at the North Star talent show they have done more than 25 shows at various events and plan on doing many more in the future.

After all these years, it seems like rock and roll is still here to stay and these Warrior rockers are doing their part to ensure that the beat goes on.