It’s Spooky Season: Halloween Scares Excitement Into Warriors

Melanie Gomez

Having a Gas: An unidentified Warrior – who resembles a Warrior Wire staffer who shall go unnamed – dons a strange outfit, readying herself for Halloween

The warm weather is now in the rearview mirror and fall is very much here. More and more students are dawning sweatshirts and jackets as the morning acquires that distinct fall chill. The crunch and crackle of fallen leaves can be heard around campus. Vibrant colors splash the landscape as the green fades. Fall is finally here and with it comes a long-awaited holiday for kids and teens all around the country: Halloween.

With Halloween so close, students are getting fired up for a long-awaited night of sweet treats, thrilling scares, and cool costumes. But not everyone plans to carry on the childhood tradition of going trick-or-treating. Many will get their fun on at various Halloween parties, go to haunted houses, or curl up in bed with a bowl of candy corn and their favorite scary movie. Still some don’t have any plans — they will figure something out on the day of. But for the vast majority of Warriors, Halloween is planned and they are ready for some fun.

Ever since Peyton Burch can remember, she has gone trick-or-treating. This year is no different for the freshman, as her mom informed her that she would be taking her little brother out. She is not thrilled about it, but hopes to have a good time. Burch also plans on going to her neighbor’s haunted house, but wishes that she could work at it instead of visit it. “If I had a choice in the matter, I would be working at my neighbor’s haunted house,” she said, “But going is still pretty good. I’ll most likely be a blueberry – the type that you inflate.”

Junior Chris Lee looks forward to fall each year, but not because of the pumpkin spice lattes and cool weather. No, it is because Halloween is his favorite holiday and fall signals that it is near. Although ecstatic for the night, he is a little disappointed that it falls on a school night. For him and many others, it will mean a time crunch as they rush to finish their homework before the sun sets and the kids come out. Lee will make the best of his night though, and plans to hand out candy to trick-or-treaters, possibly snagging a few of his favorite candy Twizzlers along the way. And Lee will not do so in plain clothes either- he is going all out. “I’ll be dressing up as a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle this year,” he said, “I accidently bought it a few years ago and it was $40 so I figured I’d put it to good use. I’ve worn it ever since.”

Whether it be hitting the streets for some good old fashioned trick-or-treating, or partying the night away at a friend’s house, you can be sure to see Warriors out and about on Halloween. Armed with candy, costumes, and friends, the Dubs will take on the spookiest night of the year. With all the festivities and activities taking place all around the city, you can be sure that it will be a night to remember. Ghouls just want to have fun, and — hey — Dubs do, too.