North Atlanta Governor’s Honors Nominees Contend for Fame

GHP Celebrities: North Atlanta students get involved in Governor’s Honors. (Left to Right) Sparrow Harrell, Eve Harclerode, Caroline Newbern, and Erin Hicks

Each school year brings many new opportunities to students, ranging from sports, academics and clubs. Among the most significant honors is participation in the state’s Governor’s Honors Program (GHP). The prestigious, competitive program, which is open to sophomores and juniors, allows individuals who possess a strong passion in a certain academic field to go to Rome, GA, in the summer and grow within that field with other program participants. Every year a nomination process has teachers nominate students who they believe demonstrate the capability to excel in their subject of interest. Upon being nominated, the student fills out paperwork, goes through a rigorous interviewing process for their subject area and then — after all that — hopes for acceptance among hundreds of nominees from other schools. 

AP Lang teacher Deanna Hasty plays a very important role as the school’s overseer for GHP, and she knows a lot about the statistics that speak toward the program’s selectivity. “Last school year, our school had 71 students nominated, 27 interviewed at the district level, and only six made it to the state level.” 

The various subject areas, such as theater, dance, mathematics, and world language, aid in demonstrating the diverse range of fields one can be nominated for. However, some areas have less nominees while others have more. “APS doesn’t offer engineering or agricultural courses, but this year we have nominees for these fields, which is a rare yet interesting occurrence,” Hasty said. “We may even have students be nominated for mechanics in the future.”

As the year progresses, our school’s GHP nominees will see this program becoming one of their top priorities. The program is not for the faint-hearted, as vast amounts of time and effort must be dedicated to earning a spot as a candidate in addition to academic responsibilities and extracurricular activities. Nevertheless, nominees are very optimistic about the GHP process and are hopeful for their acceptance. “The interview went much better than I expected,” said sophomore Eve Harclerode. “I thought it’d be very harsh, but the interviewers and overall atmosphere made me feel relaxed.” 

The doors it can open for these individuals can help in their future success, even if they don’t make it as a finalist. Despite the challenges that may come, the GHP potentials are ready to face it with Warrior pride.