Marching to Success: Battalion Commander William Winslade Helps Lead JROTC

Laudable Leader: Senior William Winslade smiles for the camera in his JROTC uniform

Olivia Chewning

Through participation in community service projects, and dedication to JROTC throughout high school, senior William Winslade is known to his cadets as Battalion Commander Winslade. When the JROTC board had to decide on the next leader of the program, they evaluated Winslade’s success through the program and decided he was a prominent role model and leader for the cadets under him.

His favorite part of his uniform is one of his chords, which he got for being recognized as an SYA, or a Superintendent Young Ambassador, which is awarded for outstanding leadership. He also takes pride in his medal from the National Society of the Sons of the American Revolution. “One of the coolest things ever is being recognized for doing good deeds, so I’m proud to wear the uniform and everything I’ve earned,” said Winslade.

Winslade currently holds one of the highest positions possible at school, and with his position comes responsibilities. Working alongside the Battalion Staff he creates the schedule for physical training of all cadets, runs the Remind101, as well as all other required paperwork for cadets. “Perseverance and believing in myself got me here,” said Winslade, “When I was a freshman I never thought I would lead the whole program, but now I get to be in that place of leadership.” 

Despite his dedication and focus, Winslade is not all work and no play He is on the Honor Guard and the Color Guard, and also enjoys being a part of the Leadership & Academic Bowl that is participating in the national level in Washington D.C this year. In the free time he does have Winslade cheers on the Atlanta Falcons, even at their worst.

After high school, he is planning on going to college and participating in the ROTC program. When he has finished college he plans on going to a branch of the military or army for 8 years to complete the JROTC experience. “It has become such a big part of my life, I don’t know where I would be without this guiding my high school experience,” said Winslade.