Destination China: Warriors Go Global

Trip To China!: Junior Ben Blauser prepares for the North Atlanta trip

North Atlanta prides itself on producing students who, among other things, are “globally and culturally aware.” This summer, a group of North Atlanta students are becoming just that, through a school trip to China organized by the Global Warriors Travel Program. 

China, considered the cultural hub for East Asia, is a source of attraction for those looking to become more internationally-minded. The group of 22, led by IB MYP Coordinator Nikia Showers, are venturing to China through EF Tours. During their 10-day stay, the cohort has a jam-packed schedule, to make the most of its experience abroad. The globetrotting students will visit the cities of Beijing and Shanghai. This cultural immersion includes tours of historic Chinese landmarks, such as the Great Wall of China, the Forbidden City, and Tiananmen Square. Junior Ben Blauser is looking forward for the incredible aesthetics that the country has to offer. “I love architecture, something China is known for, and I’ve always wanted to see downtown Shanghai,” he said.

This international travel is an opportunity for students to get a sense of what it means to be an IB “lifelong learner.” Spending time in other countries and interacting with foreign people is a central part of what it means to be a member of the global community. Showers is eager for this chance to look at the world from a different perspective. “China provides students the experience of seeing the world in a different vantage point,” she said. “This is not just a vacation, but an experience that can influence how you see and interact with others.”

The goal of this trip is for the students and staff to come back more appreciative of the diverse world around them, in hopes of becoming more active members in the community.  祝好运 (Good luck), Warriors!