Jason Bross: The Maintenance Superhero of North Atlanta High School

Mr.+Fix-It%3A+An+11-story+503%2C000-square-foot+building+needs+a+hero+who+can+keep+things+running+smoothly.+At+North+Atlanta%2C+that+hero+is+Jason+Bross%2C+North+Atlanta%E2%80%99s+Operations+Manager.+

Leslie Cortez

Mr. Fix-It: An 11-story 503,000-square-foot building needs a hero who can keep things running smoothly. At North Atlanta, that hero is Jason Bross, North Atlanta’s Operations Manager.

Every school has caretakers, whether it be for technical issues, simple maintenance problems, or obnoxious bathroom graffiti. But for a large school like North Atlanta High School, Jason Bross does it all. His great ability to fix things allows for a good working and learning environment at North Atlanta. The school’s Operations Manager is North Atlanta’s hero and by helping the faculty anyway he can and keeping the building in perfect order, he has made a great impression on many of the students and teachers. His desire to help his peers and assure everyone’s day is running smoothly, makes him a generous role model that everyone at North Atlanta can aspire to be.

Bross, who was born in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, has been working for APS for 10 years now. However, he hasn’t always been in the maintenance field. He earned a bachelor’s degree in business at Florida Atlantic University. Bross worked during high school, college and post-collegiate years in the restaurant-management field. Even though he had a good experience and made lots of memories, the working hours weren’t something he could tolerate for much longer. “It was fun and I met a lot of good people but the tough part was the hours. It just seemed like I was always working,” Bross said.

After leaving the restaurant management field, he decided to start working for his father’s maintenance company, NJ Services. This job would give him more time to spend with his wife, who he has been married to for a 31 years. At NJ Services he was able to pick up a lot of maintenance skills and much needed experience. There he soon learned that he enjoyed a customer-service oriented job. “You always took the attitude that you could handle whatever issue the client was facing,” he said.” It was kind of in those years I learned to be customer-service oriented.”

His grasp for maintenance and managing launched him to the top where he would begin working as the Operations Manager for North Atlanta High School, a massive 11-story 503,000-square-foot building. As one might expect, this school keeps him very busy with tasks. His days consist of taking care of bathroom graffiti, toilet-related hazards, elevators breaking down, outside vendors, and other repairs around the building. “There’s no building like this in the country. But with a building this size, there’s always something going on – or possibly going wrong,” he said.

The students and teachers at North Atlanta High School are lucky to have someone who is so committed to making sure their working environment is as up to par as possible. Bross deserves all the appreciation for his desire to help keep things in order and the helping hand that he takes to work every single day. It is not easy to have so much responsibility over such a big place but he wakes up every day and does it like a boss.