Tried and True Tricks for Tuning into Tasks

Distracted students: Phone fiends can’t drop their devices for the grade

When it comes to studying for tests, nobody knows better than overworked high school students how difficult it can be to remember large amounts of seemingly random information the night before. Nonetheless, focusing on tasks for long periods of time seems to be a struggle for many modern teenagers. Whether it be caused by distracting electronics, too much material, or a simple lack of motivation, just sitting down and getting to work has become harder than ever. Never fear though, because there are a few helpful tricks that can help you tune into your tasks from none other than your fellow students!

One main method of retaining focus involves limiting electronics usage either during certain periods of times, or on particularly distracting apps. The screen time function on more recent Apple updates has proved an effective method for many students in keeping track of how long they spend on their phone. By setting limits for themselves, they are able to set aside more time for important tasks. However, since there is an override option on this setting, it is not sufficient for some to keep the easily distracted from their alluring devices. “Usually I have to let my phone die so that I can focus on my work,” says Junior Carter Law. “Otherwise, I can’t trust myself to stay off of it.”

Other students however, find that electronics can be particularly motivational in setting goals for finishing tasks. One way of retaining motivation throughout time-consuming assignments is to break them up into parts, and promise yourself rewards after each section is completed. These could range from five minutes on social media to a snack, or anything that you find exciting. Junior Julia Naphin says that to stay focused she likes to “go ham for a little while and then relax for 15 minutes and watch TikToks.” 

The final hurdle for stressed out students is studying difficult and extensive information. Sometimes, a task is so large or daunting, that we find ourselves unable to even begin it. One method for attacking this type of problem is consolidating your information into easier-to-study sections like flash cards. By organizing your material into something more accessible and portable than pages of notes, it makes it much easier to study and retain. Freshman McLeod Blount swears by his use of Quizlets. “Any time I have a big test, making a Quizlet always helps me remember terms,” he said.  

Sitting down and studying for a test or writing an essay, particularly when there are more fun things that you can be doing, is quite difficult for modern high-schoolers. Surrounded by distractions and social pressures, focus is quite often an issue, especially when faced with a difficult task. However, with the tips and tricks of your brilliant peers, it can certainly be done.