COVID Can’t Stop Warrior Students from Getting their Licences

Dennis Racket

Four-Wheel Whip: Sophomore Lindsay Vicens can now cruise around town in her new car, which she received for her birthday.

Driving is one of the most impactful thresholds a teenager can cross into responsibility, independence, and most importantly, freedom. Though COVID limitations have forced us to reinvent the journey to getting a drivers licence, North Atlanta students have persevered nonetheless. 

To begin the journey to getting a driver’s license, it’s required to have a drivers permit for at least one year before taking the drivers test. With all of the excitement that comes with driving, most teens try to get their permit as close to their 15th birthday as possible. After taking, and hopefully passing, the permit test, teens prepare themselves for the much anticipated drivers test, but they still have an entire year ahead of them. In the meantime, these soon to be licensed drivers have a few things they need to do.

First is the grueling, but important, Drivers Ed course. Before COVID, these 30 hours of instruction were typically conducted in person. Considering this year’s COVID constraints however, Drivers Ed had to be conducted as an online course over Zoom Call or through an instructional website. Sophomore Lindsay Vicens was one of many North Atlanta students who took drivers ed online. “I did my Drivers Ed online and it was super hard to focus.” said Vicens, “It definitely took me longer than 30 hours to complete the course.”

After completing the Drivers Ed course, it’s then required to complete either 6 hours of driving with an instructor or, 40 documented hours of driving with a parent. For those who chose to do 40 hours of driving with their parents, COVID had no effect on the process, but for those who chose to complete 6 hours of driving with an instructor, the process looks a little different. Drivers and instructors practice many precautions such as wearing masks, taking temperatures, and wiping things down before and after each driver takes the wheel. Though the process may seem tedious, it’s meant to keep everyone in the car safe.

After all of the requirements are met, it’s finally time to take the long-awaited test. With COVID precautions being heavily enforced at DMVs across Georgia, this can go one of two ways. The first is just like the average drivers test, except the instructor and driver both wear masks, take temperatures, etc. before the test. The second is conducted strictly in the parking lot, where a parent is in the car with a driver and the instructor evaluates from outside of the car. Sophomore Duskin Balch took the test with the instructor outside of the car. “I didn’t mind the precautions taken during my drivers’ test because I know they provided a protective environment for me to take my test, and it honestly was probably a little bit easier with my parent in the car.”

COVID limitations could not stop the Warriors from achieving one of the most important tasks of their teenage years, and these Dubs continue to show true perseverance in the face of adversity.