Football Dubs Tame the Wildcats in a Dominant Defensive Showing on Homecoming Night

Mady Mertens

A Dub for the Dubs on Homecoming Weekend

The Dubs Football team added to their win streak on Friday with a commanding 42-16 win over the Dunwoody Wildcats. After a narrow win to start the year, the Dubs have won their last three contests in dominating fashion putting up 34, 37, and 42 points in those games. The Warriors capped off Homecoming Week in the only way they could, with a Dub!

Not only did the players on the field show out, however. In what was undoubtedly the biggest student section of the year, students were on their feet the whole game. Freshman, sophomores, and juniors were decked out in all black, while the seniors wore all white for their last homecoming game. Prior to the 8:00 kickoff, students piled up outside the stadium waiting to punch their ticket and grab a spot for the game, however the line never seemed to shorten. Homecoming night attracts parents, staff, and kids from all over Atlanta, not just NAHS students. The lines quickly turned into clumps which delayed entry for many. North Atlanta junior and big supporter of Warrior football Lanier Beckham was one of many that was forced to wait and a seemingly endless channel of people. “I had never seen anything like it before. I looked at the line with mixed emotions. On one hand it was awesome to see people from schools other than North Atlanta come to the game, but it also took longer to join the student section,” she said. 

Despite the delay at the gates, the Dubs were fired up and ready to defend their number one spot on APS’s Power Rankings. The offense led by junior quarterback, Trey Lennon dominated early. Lennon used his dual-threat ability to find the endzone twice early in the game, one on a pass and one being a 25 yard run. The offense was consistently marching down the field and creating opportunities for junior powerback Hunter Davis and sophomore Connor Hughes to add to the growing lead. It was also a busy day for senior kicker and fan favorite, Taft Meredith, who was not only automatic when kicking extra points, but also hyping the crowd up after each trip onto the field.

It was not just the offense that came to play. The defense was firing on all cylinders tonight. Dunwoody went scoreless the entirety of the first half. Defensive anchors like linebacker John Gibson and defensive back Jamie O’Kelley struck fear into the eyes of the Wildcats. Defensive lineman and self-proclaimed NFL Free Agent Charlie Grier was asked about the atmosphere on the field. “It was great to be up by as much as we were, but we made sure our level of play matched our level of energy and intensity the entire game,” Grier said. 

The Warriors next two games are both away games outside the perimeter, but the game plan is still the same. A balanced attack on offense with defensive intensity that is unparalleled are the keys to success. Coach Aull and the Dubs are looking to keep the winning streak alive following the bye-week of them, they prepare to play Pebblebrook (on 9/24) and look to take care of business like they did with the Wildcats.