The Risk of In-Person Learning: Teachers Worry About Bringing COVID-19 Home

Cautious+and+Careful%3A+Returning+teachers%2C+including+graphic+design+teacher+Mr.+Johnson%2C+are+wary+of+in-person+school+as+the+Covid-19+Pandemic+continues.+

Trinitii Baggett

Cautious and Careful: Returning teachers, including graphic design teacher Mr. Johnson, are wary of in-person school as the Covid-19 Pandemic continues.

The return to in-person learning has caused teachers to frantically worry about bringing COVID-19 home. The danger they pose to their families has weighed heavily on them much like the uncertainty of the journey ahead. The worries they have of contracting the virus from students have been a constant reminder of the opportunity cost at hand. Not to mention last year teachers had to adjust to teaching on their computers and like a flip of a dime, they’re now back in crowded classrooms. 

The excitement teachers have about in person learning is not quite the same as it once was pre-pandemic. However, they commit to arriving at school despite knowing that each day increases their chances of contracting the virus. Social studies teacher Leila Austin has a 6-year old son who can contract the virus easily. “Yes, I am concerned about bringing COVID-19 home to my child who is unable to be vaccinated,” said Austin. 

Every day the odds are against them as they teach more than 100 students for both A and B days. The challenges they face are many and include constantly reminding students to properly wear their masks. While also wearing a mask around students at all times and being required to be tested weekly. “I am grateful to have the opportunity to see students in person,” Austin said. “I am trying to take every day as it comes and not plan too far ahead mentally and emotionally.” 

Graphic design teacher Derryl Johnson teaches five full classes of eager freshmen who looked forward to his well talked about class. He said his commitment to return to the building was for the sole purpose of seeing his students’ succeed. “We could have taken this slower and kept asynchronous Wednesdays because I was concerned about so many of my students that were out of school,”  said Johnson.

The risk of teachers getting sick makes them more conscious about how much physical contact they give students. In reality, staying healthy is the ultimate goal to not only teach but also prevent bringing the virus home. “We’ve already dealt with COVI-19 at my girlfriend’s house,” Johnson said. “I think the logistics of trying to manage who’s sick at home and who needs to be quarantined are some of the cons to consider.”    

Overall the sacrifices teachers make to prioritize their students’ education is a reflection of the joy they bring them. As a result of their bravery, this year will be like no other because of their ability to keep the school’s spirit alive. As we all contribute to make this school year memorable, we also have to acknowledge teachers who make the learning experience worth the struggles and the celebrations.