GA Governor’s Honors Program: Learning From the Best and With the Best

Opportunities Galore: Georgia’s GHP provides students with the ability to expand their horizons and pursue their passions.

The teen years are a time when many people discover their passions. From music and art to politics and engineering, the list is endless. The Georgia Governor’s Honors Program (GHP) is the perfect opportunity for the best and the brightest in a wide field of subjects to further advance their studies. The program is described as a “residential summer program for gifted and talented students.” However, before the program even begins, these upcoming months will be full of interviews, with thousands of students from schools across the state vying for a position. 

Past attendees have nothing but praise for the program. It seems the most memorable part of the experience is the relationships formed with other student participants. Senior Olivia Schramkowski – a past participant in the social studies field of the program – had a lot to say about her experience. “It’s so special to be able to connect with people and have really interesting conversations that you normally wouldn’t have in a high school classroom,” she said. 

The unique classroom experience and lessons are what sets the GHP apart from normal school year learning. The focus is solely on each student’s personal subject area, with classes directed towards a wide variety of very specific areas within the field that wouldn’t normally be covered in school. It is a chance for young scholars to further expand their knowledge to a much wider scope of their subject. The atmosphere of the classes is unique, so there is no need to worry about sitting through long lectures and powerpoint presentations. Rather, the lessons are more student based and collaborative. “We mostly learned through each other and got to apply what we learned to different projects,” said Schramkowski. 

The students applying this year from North Atlanta are ecstatic about the opportunity. And even for those that don’t make it into the program, the lengthy interview process is half the experience. Luke McCullough is eager about the possibility of spending the summer diving deeper into his favorite subject of chemistry. “I love science and I’m planning on going into the medical field when I’m older,” he said. “I thought this would be a great opportunity to learn even more.”

Despite the excitement, it’s understandable that there are lots of nerves involved as well. It’s an experience of a lifetime, but the journey to get there will be difficult on its own. Competing against the best of the best is sure to be a difficult task. “I’m the most nervous about the application process,” said McCullough. “There are lots of different parts, including an essay, which is honestly kind of nerve wracking.”

Despite all of the obstacles along the way, we believe in you, Warriors. We hope you have fun learning and enjoy your experience!