Minimum Day and ACCA: Senior Life With Shorter School Days

Regan Murray

Sleepy Seniors: Morning minimum day privileges have allowed some seniors to catch up on some much needed Zs.

On top of everything that seniors are going through – and I’m talking senior dues, baby picture submissions, college applications and all – minimum day and ACCA are opportunities this winning group of students just can’t miss. Minimum day is a hot trend for North Atlanta seniors, a privilege that allows students to leave campus a period early or show up a period late in the mornings. It’s been on the market for a while now and because of it, the class of 2022 is finding it much easier to manage their time. 

Self determined and motivated by his craft, senior Jordan Mason has become a profound musician over the course of his four years in high school. For Mason, the minimum day schedule has really helped him to focus on his musical skills and keep up with his grades. “I get to go home earlier or get to school earlier. I get more time at home with my sisters or I get to go to the studio and make music,” Mason said.

The Atlanta College and Career Academy (ACCA) is an additional opportunity for North Atlanta students that allows them to take courses in high-demand career fields. Senior Joshua Roscoe is one of many Dubs seniors who has taken the ACCA route, and for him, mornings are much less hectic. The academy allows him to get up later in the day, getting valuable sleep, which is something we could all use. In getting to school, Roscoe has until 8:50 to get on the bus. Once he arrives at the campus, he is given the choice of either eating breakfast or going to class, which starts at 9:15 in the morning. Depending on your pathway, you get a lecture about the course. “It’s helping me develop a new skill set that will prepare me for what I want to do in the future,” Roscoe said.

Roscoe has noticed a big change in his grades because of this new schedule he has acquired as a senior. With less classes, his grades have improved tremendously compared to his previous years at North Atlanta. “I went from having B’s and C’s to having A’s and B’s,” Roscoe said. “The ACCA has been super helpful.”

Roscoe isn’t the only one testifying to the wonders of ACCA, as senior Ashlee Askin would approve of his sentiments. ACCA in a way saved her high school career. This is major for the North Atlanta veteran because for years, she has struggled with underperforming academically. But thus far, this year has proved to be her most successful yet. “I remember failing a lot of my classes and now because of ACCA I’m passing all my classes.” 

For the senior class, both minimum day and ACCA have proved to be advantageous. With more work than ever, especially for those in IB, seniors are under a lot of stress. Whether it be college applications or a big exam, these upperclassmen always have something on their plate. Having a flexible schedule during these work-filled times is prominent. What better way is there to stay on top of things than the shorter days that these two options provide?