Family Feud or Family Fun: Siblings in Sports

Sara Roman

Siblings to Teammate: Having your sibling on your team can either be a dream or your worst nightmare. Sophomores Taylor and Peyton Mosely believe that having their sibling on their team is all in good fun—and a little competition.

A bond can be built up or broken down when participating in team sports. The rivalries and triumphs that go along with competing can be especially difficult to deal with in the close relationships that siblings hold.
Siblings without a doubt have their fair share of disagreements and petty rivalries. Handling these on and off the field is imperative for a smooth-running team and relationship. Hope and Sophie Hallett are sisters who participate on the North Atlanta dive and soccer teams together. Hope, a sophomore, said, “It’s sometimes difficult to overcome conflicts we have at home and work together at practice,” said sophomore Hope. Her sister Sophie, a freshman, said, “It’s hard to refrain from bringing pettiness onto the field.”
The dynamic of a team is important in its development and success. That said, it can get especially tricky when siblings share the same interest in sports. Students admit to feeling pressure to level up to their siblings and prove their excellence in the sport. Sophomore Lanie Mahaffey and her twin sister, Mattie, both have a spot on the volleyball team. “It’s hard not to compare your success to your siblings. I’ve definitely done so with Mattie and vice versa,” said Lanie.
Siblings Denni and Maggie Andreski have been soccer stars since both of their childhoods. This year they can both be seen strutting their stuff on the varsity girls soccer team. Senior Denni and sophomore Maggie have to navigate the complexities they face on the field such as playing time, position placing, and even team bonding. Denni, being older, has been on the team longer than Maggie. “It wouldn’t be my preference to play on the same team as my sister,” said Denni. Denni deems being a part of a team sport important as she and Maggie have their own space to perform and socialize outside of one another.
Two sets of twins play on the lacrosse team—Peyton and Taylor Mosely and Kenzie and Emmerson Crow. Both twins win the awards for “best attitude,” agreeing their bonds will not be broken by bad sportsmanship and banter. Rather the girls love to work together and lift each other up. Of course, no sport goes without a little healthy competition. “We definitely attempt to outperform each other, but at the end of the day it’s all in good fun,” said Emmerson.
While having your sibling on your team can occasionally be a pain, family and sports do have one thing in common: the bond they form is for life.