The Diverse Aquatic Ecosystem Surrounding the NAHS Campus

The+view+from+the+eleventh+floor+is+sweeping%3A+a+lake+below%2C+beautiful+trees+around%2C+and+the+Buckhead+skyline+in+the+distance.+

The view from the eleventh floor is sweeping: a lake below, beautiful trees around, and the Buckhead skyline in the distance.

The new North Atlanta building is full of incredible indoor amenities–a smoothie bar, elevators, spiral staircases. However, aside from inside luxuries, students are also privileged to observe a stunning ecosystem on campus. Nearly every classroom has picture-perfect views of the impressive valley of trees that surround the towering 11-story-tall school. Students often look outside for the beauty of the trees, but if students look beneath, they can observe the beautiful lake too. The Lakeside building straddles a lake that is filled with a variety of critters and creatures. Unique fauna live around the campus, and the lake is no exception. Just think about it: there is an entire ecosystem just below your math class!

From turtles to fish to dragonflies, all of these animals live on or around the lake. From time to time, a crane will fly down searching for some fish. Students have reported seeing snakes in the lake and it’s not uncommon to see ground-floor observers peering out on fish making ripples in the water. At the right time you may even see the top of a turtle’s shell as he swims toward some unknown destination.

But why and how are they here? North Atlanta’s very own Eric Jackson can provide information. The veteran biology teacher, now in his fifth year at our school, is a resident expert on the fauna that surround us. “There are many animals in the lake, everything from turtles to snakes,” Jackson said.

There’s even a turtle who was introduced to the waters by students in one of Jackson’s biology classes. A class pet that was confined to a boxy glass home was set free and left to roam in his new spacious home. Although there are many different species that live on the campus, Jackson said there is no immediate threat to students or faculty. But are the animals safe from us? He lamented the occasional piece of trash he sees on the lake.

However, Jackson notes that the aquatic terrain below is comparatively well-maintained. The lake is healthy for the animals to live in and contains no biohazards. Veterinarians occasionally come to the lake to check up on the health of the species that inhabit the lake.

It’s nice to be reminded that the campus is not just home to humans. School is much more interesting with a swimming turtle or a slithering snake living right outside.