Sophomore SGA Historian Rowen Steps Up To Take Leadership Role

Rowen Large

From Spirit Week, to homecoming, or to pep rallies, the Student Government Association helps to plan it all. Each grade’s Student Government Association (SGA) has several important positions. The class historian takes a unique and important role.

Sophomore class historian Rebecca Rowen said she ran for her position because she wanted to get more involved in the school and its activities. Her friend, sophomore Roxie Stricker, the student body historian, gave her all the information she needed to run. As the 10th grade historian, she focuses on informing the students on all of the events going on at the school and helping to plan them.

“SGA is a group of students who help plan and organize all of the fun events that go on at our school like homecoming, pep rallies and things like that,” Rowen said.

Her favorite part about SGA is all the behind-the-scenes activity related to school events and also getting to know about these events before they are announced to the school body. Rowen said it was fun to know about homecoming and Spirit Week before the flyers went up publicizing this information. SGA typically meets twice a month, but in the period leading up to homecoming, the students met more frequently to prepare for the week.

Rowen is considering running for 11th grade historian or secretary because she loves SGA and being more involved in the school. Many students know what SGA is, she said, but even more do not. For example, no one ran for 10th grade treasurer this year. While the position was filled by Madison McBride and Amanda Stevens, Rowan thinks that if more people had known there would have been candidates who ran. She recommends SGA to any student willing to take on more responsibility for positively shaping the school’s culture.