North Atlanta Students Participate in Selma Anniversary March

The march from Selma to Montgomery was a major event in American history. On March 7, 1965, marchers attempted to cross the Edmund Pettis Bridge in Selma, Alabama, with the intention of marching 54 miles to the state’s capital Montgomery to advocate for voting rights for minorities. The events of that “Bloody Sunday,” when police officers violently dispersed the marchers with horses, tear gas and billy clubs, seared the conscience of the American public and led directly to congressional action to protect voting rights.

The Selma-to-Montgomery March did ultimately take place several weeks after “Bloody Sunday” and was led by Martin Luther King, Jr. and other prominent civil rights leaders. The march and its impact still affects the country today. The 50th anniversary of the event was March 8 and thousands of Americans converged on the Alabama city to commemorate the past and advocate for change in the present and future. A keynote speaker at the event was President Barak Obama. Two students from North Atlanta participated in celebrating the accomplishments of “Bloody Sunday” and remembering those who struggled that day. The pilgrimage event was coordinated by the Washington, D.C.-based Faith and Politics Institute.

Manuel Portillo and Kofi Adams, both seniors, are members of VOX, a mass-media-focused student-run organization based in Atlanta. The pair of students went to Selma to write a blog entry and record a video about the Selma anniversary for a VOX blog. The video and blog entry can be found on the VOX website, www.voxteencommunications.org. U.S. Congressman John Lewis (D-Atlanta) was an important figure involved in “Bloody Sunday” and it was the congressman who funded the trip to Selma for Adams and Portillo.

In the process of reporting, they were able to learn a significant amount about the event’s place in American history. “We went to learn about Selma and to figure out why so many people don’t know much about it,” said Portillo.

The students went to museums and learned facts about “Bloody Sunday.” They also learned the truth about who was involved in fighting for civil rights. “It wasn’t always whites versus blacks. There were white people helped. What we learned was also how non-violence prevailed over violence,” said Portillo.

They both said they were grateful for the opportunity to celebrate the achievements of such an important historical event. “It was cool to meet so many people that were heavily involved in the movement and that were front-line activists during the march,” said Adams.

The celebration has inspired them to take steps toward becoming better citizens. “It inspired me to be more of an advocate for civil, human and voting rights, and to advocate in every part of my life where I can make a difference,” Adams said.