Iconic Chuck Taylor Footwear Makes a Comeback at North Atlanta

Converse Chucks Taylors make a strong fashion comeback at North Atlanta.

Sara Beth Cimowsky

Converse “Chucks Taylors” make a strong fashion comeback at North Atlanta.

When walking up and down the hallways of North Atlanta, look down to notice a noteworthy fashion trend: so many among us are wearing Converse “Chuck Taylor” sneakers. Among high-schoolers across the country, the iconic footwear has made a fashion comeback in the past few years.

The Converse shoe, originally developed in 1908 by Marquis Mills Converse, has come back yet again to become a wardrobe necessity for many American teenagers. Whether they sport white All Star high-tops or a funky colored pair of low-rise “Chucks,” students who love their shoes love to talk about their versatile pairs.

The Converse shoe got its nickname thanks to a one-time basketball player and Converse employee Charles “Chuck” Taylor. In the 1920s, the shoe-salesman played a large role in design improvements for the Converse basketball sneakers. He also traveled around the country as a sales representative, pushing the line of sneakers that ultimately bore his name and that would become the most successful selling basketball shoes in history.

The popularity of “Chucks” has been sustained as a youth favorite for decades. Their popularity spiked yet again the early-2000s after being worn by movie stars Devi Lovato and Drew Berrymore. Their bold fashion choice made a strong impact on the elementary and middle school minds of many current North Atlanta students. And as we can see, the “Chuck Taylor” fashion movement is back again.

Converse factories are currently manufacturing and distributing many different styles and colors or the converse shoe all over the world. You often see many students around North Atlanta sporting the classic white high or low tops. “I like the white ones because they go with everything and it’s a very classic look to complete my outfits,” said junior Lizzie Darby.

Though many prefer their Chucks in white, there is also very unique style that focuses more on bright patterns and colors. Each generation makes its Chuck Taylors their own. And each North Atlanta student finds his or her own reason to wear the comfortable and iconic shoes. “These shoes are great because they are comfortable and you can get them dirty but they’re still a good-looking shoe,” said sophomore Roxie Stricker.

Fashion trends come and go. But no matter what the year, Chuck Taylors live on.