An Eggcelent Phenomenon: Hawk Family Nests Outside Physics Classroom

New Student in the Window: Meet Trina, the North Atlanta hawk, a new mama bird with three eggs to nurse.

Physics is known to be one of the most challenging courses offered at North Atlanta High School. However, some forces of flight have been a calming factor for students taking this intimidating course. It’s not drift, lift, or anything of that nature, in fact, it’s one of the wonders of nature itself: North Atlanta’s very own red tailed hawk named Trina. After searching to find a place to call home, approximately two weeks before winter break Trina finally found her nesting place along the gray structural beams on the eighth floor of the school. More specifically, she nests just outside the windows of Gregory Baeza’s physics classroom and the locker area next to it. 

Now before students have to take a stressful physics exam, they can take a moment to study the forces of flight in a more feathery way. The hawk essentially serves as a therapy animal for stressed students. However, having a class pet is more than just a stress reliever, it also brings the Warrior community closer together. “Our school hawk serves as a unifier, whenever we see her do something we’re collectively excited,” said sophomore Joi Gonzalez. “The tension in physics class is immediately diminished, it’s always a delightful part of our day when we see the hawk and her eggs.”

For Baeza, a beloved physics teacher, having a class pet has been a particularly meaningful experience. Despire a deep appreciation for animals, he has not always had the best relationship with birds specifically. The nest came together slowly but surely as more and more branches began to show up. It was as if the hawk had chosen Baeza, knowing it would be placed under good care. Despite initial hesitation, Baeza has taken on the full role of bird caretaker. “I’m a hawk dad now, so I have a lot of responsibility,” he said. “It’s so rare and special to have this opportunity”

So far, North Atlanta’s feathery friend has three eggs in her nest of sticks, feathers, and various resources from nature. In addition to admiring their new class pet and her future eyas, students have taken the liberty to come up with names for the future hawk babies. Currently, the names can be viewed or added to on Baeza’s classroom whiteboard and will eventually be voted on. After lots of begging, there has been some eggciting news—a 24/7 live camera was installed to overlook the hawk’s nest for students to see what the unofficial eighth floor mascot is up to and how her eyas are doing. It shares this experience with the rest of the North Atlanta community outside of the eighth floor. “It seemed like an obvious thing to do,” Baeza said. 

Trina and her eggs are sure to become legends amongst the Warrior community lore. In the past few weeks, she has provided many with the opportunity to see nature in a way most will never get the chance to. As she continues to keep her eggs warm, the North Atlanta stays patiently waiting for exciting news in the near future. 

To see the live feed, photos, and other information on Trina and her eggs, visit this link or go to http://nahswildlife.weebly.com/