A Senior Lists Her Most Annoying Things About School

Let’s be honest. Everyone has at least three to five pet peeves that involve school. No matter how big of a fan you are about going to school, everyone has them.

Who Actually Asks for Homework Anyway? The bell rings, signaling the end of the most boring class you had that day. You completely despise the class. The last thing you want is homework but before the students can get the door open to escape this place, that one kid who sits in the very front and tries to answer every question says, “Umm, Miss! Do we have homework?” That one simple question makes every student in the room whip their head around, some staring at the student like they wanted to choke the kid, others staring at the teacher in horror. What happens next purely depends on luck.

Wasting Time. Ever have one of those teachers who waste the first 30 minutes of class, lecturing about wasting time? Kind of ironic right?

The Lone Wolf. You’re sitting alone in a class full of people that you don’t know. This is your most boring class. You’re trying not to be jealous of all the students having fun talking to their friends before class starts. Why couldn’t they have just put you in a class that had somebody you knew? The teacher walks in and says, ”Okay kids! Everyone get into groups of four! You can pick whoever you want but you need to be in a group!” You glance around and see that everyone is already paired off. Great! Looks like you’re a lone wolf.

No, That’s Fine. Not Like I Need the Hallway to Walk to Class or Anything. You’d think a crowd of friends would think of a better place to stand and talk rather than in the middle of the hallway. And sometimes even the stairwell. Is the group conversation so important that you must make everyone late for class because we have to find a way around you?

Teachers Who Never Grade Anything. We students obviously don’t know the frustration of grading, like, a million assignments. But do teachers know how terrifying it is to have turned in about ten assignments and still have the same low grade? Just please let us know that you’re going to fix it by the end of the semester. The stress is serious.

Can’t Escape the Classroom. The bell finally rings. But that doesn’t mean anything to the teacher standing in front of the door, blocking your way to a 8-minute freedom between classes. But whether the class was acting up all day, or the teacher simply had something so important to tell you that they’d gladly make you late to your next class, it happens, and every student dislikes this with a passion.

Only Seniors Will Understand the Struggle. Two words that make all the seniors in this school cringe. Senior dues. Why does the school insist that we pay loads of money for a graduation ceremony, cap and gowns, school pictures, and about a million other things? I understand that they obviously need money to pay for all that and that it will benefit us. It’s actually a huge benefit and we appreciate it. But it’s also a huge hassle to have to pay loads of money when you’re also trying to pay for college, IB and AP tests, a car, prom, and get your life together before you leave to go out on your own. It just adds to the anxiety. But of course, it always helps if you imagine all the nice things that come from it.

It’s a Desk, Not a Massage Chair. This is a special thanks to that kid that always sits behind you and kicks and taps their foot on the back of your chair during class. We don’t mind that you put your feet on the back of our chair, but could you please try not to make us feel like were having our own personal earthquake?

Whatever You Do, Don’t Touch the Bottom of the Desk. You’re sitting in class, totally fine until you brush your hand on something moist, squishy and slightly sticky on the bottom of the desk. Next thing you know, you’re up across the room, pumping the hand sanitizer in your hand, muttering to yourself about how you wish these people would properly dispose of their gum.

I Have no Memory of Raising My Hand So Why Did you Call on Me, Teach? What ever happened to the simple system of raising your hand when you knew the answer to a question, and not raising it when you didn’t know the answer? Sure we’ve probably gotten pretty lazy, too lazy to even raise a hand. But that doesn’t make it cool for teachers to just call on us. Why waste your time waiting for a student to answer a question they obviously don’t know? You could have called any of the other 15 students in the class with their hand raised high who knows something. But instead you catch me at the exact moment that I wasn’t paying attention and called me. Now should we really waste time watching a student sit in their seat, sweating, face hot, saying, uuuuh….uuuuum…well…?” No. What does the teacher really expect us to do at that point? We obviously can’t read their mind and blurt out the answer and put them out of their misery. It’s just plain evil and not cool at all.

So there you have it: My “Most Annoying Things about School” list. Do know, this list could have reached 100. And please, you, that strange fellow sitting next to me in chemistry – don’t add to it.