North Atlanta is About to Pop

Students+exist+in+close+proximity+while+transferring+between+classes+in+the+stairwells.+

Sara Beth Cimowsky

Students exist in close proximity while transferring between classes in the stairwells.

North Atlanta: a behemoth to the eye of any inhabitant of Atlanta. One would think it would be very spacious, however this is not the reality of new and old students. There has been a spike in the enrollment numbers here at North Atlanta and administrators and students weighed in on the topic.

As of last year, the total number of students attending North Atlanta topped off at 1,692. As of August 10, that number has grown to 1,810. Meredith Kaltman, the Assistant Principal for the freshman grade stated, “It wasn’t really overwhelming to see this many new students, it’s just another ninth grade class!”

The large number of students would seem to be a challenge for any administrator. However, this year has been going pretty well according to Robert Whitman, the Assistant Principal. “This year has started off very well and I think a lot of that has to do with all students, experienced and new, handling their academic business instead of letting it handle them,” said Whitman.

Each school year, freshman are introduced, and this usually leads to tension between the under and upper classmen. But in a turn of events, there hasn’t been much controversy. “The freshman are small like fifth graders, so getting to class isn’t really hard because they’re small and easy to step over,” said junior Elijah Lewis.

There hasn’t been any notable run-ins between any under and upper classmen thankfully. “They’re alright, they haven’t caused any trouble yet, but they do make getting to classes harder,” senior Jeremiah Lane said.

North Atlanta, while big, is filling quickly and Whitman said that the ninth floor might be used for classes as soon as next year, though it’s not official at this time. 1,800 students is a large number, but whether you’re stepping over freshman, or getting stepped over, we’re one big family who will continue to grow for the academic years to come.