Sky’s the Limit: Students Create Aviation Club at NAHS

Kristen Duncan
Aviation Club Takes Flight: Ayana Ragin, Euwanta Williams, Justin Mutawassim, Cole Glee and Jack Dobbs look forward to share their passions for aviation

New club on the block, or should it be, new kids on the dock? North Atlanta High School’s new and exciting Aviation Club is run by seniors Ayana Ragin and Euwanta Williams. It has brought the wonders of aviation and flight to North Atlanta’s students. With an impressive start this year, the club has already had guest speakers share about piloting, a potential career pathway for some ambitious North Atlanta students. Even though the club has just recently started, it already has officers, a sponsor, and multiple club members with a certain future in the skies. 

Ragin approached Williams to start the club after they both attended the Aviation Career Enrichment (ACE) program by Fulton Airport that gives ground lessons, in-depth learning and exams about airport operations, weather, and more. The program starts with an introduction for seven-year-olds and ends in twelfth grade when students are assigned flight instructors and receive a private license. After learning from the program, both Williams and Ragin aim to expose their school to their passion and interest in aviation through their new club. “Since I was four, I’ve always loved airplanes,” Williams said. “Now I want to make my passions come true.”

Currently, the club focuses on welcoming guest speakers to answer questions and give insight into the different paths of aviation. Ragin’s father was one such speaker. He joined the Naval Reserve Officers Training Corps (NROTC) in college and then attended Namor Flight School Pensacola before working as a naval aviator and pilot at JetBlue and Delta. Aside from speakers, the Aviation Club has created announcements and flyers to spread knowledge about aviation, work to grow the club and allow North Atlanta students to have fun with aviation. “We want to give students an outlet to pursue aviation,” Ragin said. “Aviation is a niche field that not many people are talking about.”

Aviation is a unique career avenue, and the club is a great opportunity for students considering that field, as well as people who just want to learn more about aviation as a whole. Presidents Ragin and Williams made this club for that reason and intend for the club to last beyond this school year. Many students can now share their passion for aviation with their peers and bring a fun and authentic side to the world of aviation.