People Flipping Out about Water Bottle Flipping

Student Chandler Binder continuously carries a water bottle to practices flipping skills.

Sara Beth Cimowsky

Unlike some popular trends, the water bottle flipping craze can be traced back to a specific person. One momentous day during a senior high school talent show at Ardrey Kell High School in Charlotte, N.C., Michael Senatore held the now infamous water bottle, strutted up to the stage, and dramatically paused right before flipping the bottle onto a table, which landed upright. The crowd of students erupted in boisterous applause and ever since, social media has been flooded with videos of “water bottle flippers” attempting to flip the bottles in obscure and impressive areas. And the trend has certainly been seen at North Atlanta.

Freshman Jack Kiefer, a well-respected freshman ‘flipper’ here at North Atlanta has a practiced strategy to ensure that he casts the most perfect and consistent throws. “The trick is filling the water bottle up to the third line with water because it creates an ideal weight at the bottom. After that, it’s all in the flick of the wrist.” he said.

Despite the tough flipping competition here at North Atlanta, Kiefer certainly has the most impressive record. “On average, I can get the bottle to land upright 12 to 13 times in a row,” he said.

In spite of the fact that the art of water bottle flipping has been a new and exciting challenge for many high school and middle school students, adults and teachers alike have been nearly driven to the brink of insanity because of the trend. The constant thudding, gurgling and crunching of numerous failed flip attempts has even resulted in bottle flipping bans in some schools. “I think so many teachers get annoyed and ban water bottles in their classes because you shouldn’t be flipping a bottle in the middle of class,” said world literature teacher Aniesha Davis.

And let’s be honest, most of the time it doesn’t work. Then you just have students throwing bottles on desks and on the floor,” Davis said.

Although water bottle flipping may not be a resume-worthy skill and appears to most adults to be a complete waste of time, there is no doubt that after recklessly throwing a bottle in the air and having it land upright feels like a sweet victory that should be suitably celebrated. So flip on, Warriors! And for those who don’t like it. I dunno? Flip off?