The Snake Handlers of Room 10123

Students+get+to+handle+snakes+during+their+classes+to+learn+about+the+animals.+

Students get to handle snakes during their classes to learn about the animals.

Something new is slithering into the Eric Jackson’s biology classroom and it’s not the dread of second semester grades. It’s a new set of class snakes.

This new group of serpentine companions comprises of three pythons and two red boa constrictors, a male and female for both species. The pythons, both around three feet long, are called Big Cuz, Sosa and Silky Slim. The longer boas, measuring in at roughly four-and-a-half feet, are named Diamond and Peanut Butter.

They can be distinguished by their distinct and extravagant scales, and the boa’s tendency to give live birth versus the pythons who, like most other snakes, lay eggs. Now these snakes may seem like they are carnivorous human-eating monsters but are, in fact, sustained through a diet consisting of frozen mice. The reptiles that inhabit room 10123 are the furthest thing from aggressive. “They are extremely kid friendly and love to be handled,” Jackson said.

He said his super serpents significantly contribute to the classroom environment “They seem to calm the students down,” he said.

A casual saunter into Jackson’s room would reveal something akin to a petting zoo where cross-species affections are predominant and where student playfully handle snakes. “Everyone thinks they are scary, but they really aren’t,” said senior Matthew Self.

Snake-loving senior Kate Love noted that Jackson’s snakes really add to her Environmental Science class. “They really improve and liven up the classroom experience,” she said.

The snakes are also teaching responsibility to the students. They occasionally get the opportunity to assist Jackson in feeding the snakes their mice dinners and also cleaning snake terrarium. Jackson said he never lacks for snake handlers. “They were rush in to help out,” he said.

Jackson said interest in snakes tends to correspond with grade levels. His zealous freshmen are quite on point where snake chores are concerned. Seniors are less animated to tackle the snake chores. “I’d like the seniors to pick it up a bit more and reconnect with their earlier love of the snakes,” he said.

Jackson’s snakes are livening up the classroom by allowing for hands-on biology applications. However no matter how “kid friendly” they may seem you can be assured that this reporter will still be maintaining his distance.