Trump Takes Office and Some Take Cover

President Donald Trump.

CNN.com

President Donald Trump.

He comes into office as likely the most controversial president in recent American history. He lost in the popular vote and now leads a significantly politically divided country. So, with the inauguration of President Donald Trump on Jan. 20, it would stand to reason that North Atlanta is divided on the topic of the newly established Trump administration.

Eight years have come and gone with President Barak Obama as the leader of our nation. Now that a new leader is in the White House, it stands to reason that North Atlanta students have strong opinions about the change in Washington.

The change in administration was significant for most North Atlanta students since Obama was the only president most had ever known. “Talk about a reality change,” said sophomore Andrew Friedman. “President Obama has been in charge since I was in second grade.”

Some students couldn’t be more excited at the fact that Donald Trump is now president and they are enthused that their leader is going to “make America great again.” Other’s – sensing imminent apocalypse – couldn’t be more upset. “I feel scared for America,” said sophomore Jonathan Burke.

Trump supporters, in contrast, say they are happy a new leader is in charge. “I like the change,” said junior Emilie Corsini. “Trump will be good for all of us because he is not a politician and he’s a successful businessman.”

The feelings our new president brings to North Atlanta students seem to fall into three categories: excited, neutral or upset. Students across the school are discussing and sharing their opinions about President Trump. Junior Mariel Walts is one who falls into the neutral category. “I feel nothing when it comes to Trump taking office,” she said.

Feelings vary among the student body but nothing changes the fact that Donald Trump is now the President of the United States. Students will have to take a wait and see approach and see what the next four years has to hold with Trump at the helm. Whether it’s “Make America Great Again” or “Make America a Dumpster Fire,” only time will tell.