The Mane Event: Going From Long Locks to Short Hair

Freshman+Ruby+Elliot+has+opted+for+a+short+cut.+

Sara Beth Cimowsky

Freshman Ruby Elliot has opted for a short cut.

The relationship between a girl and her hair is sacred, with massive amounts of money being spent on shampoo, conditioner, and the perfect heat-protector. For any girl, the mere thought of cutting off her beloved locks sends a shudder down the spine. But why? Who came up with the rule that says women must have long – and tediously taken care of – hair? And what’s the connection between a girl and her hair?

There are some among us who have dared to do something for the “shear” thrill of it: Cutting their hair short. And as this trend of cutting longer hair arises, more and more females are throwing caution to the wind and “growing” confidence in their shorter hair. While the quest is emotional, the end result is something to cherish.

Freshman Ruby Elliott said it was easy for her to cut her hair. “I wasn’t scared, because I knew it would grow back, even if I did have regrets afterwards,” she said.

Elliott said the attachment she had to her hair came from growing up with long locks. “I’ve had long hair for so long and I felt like it was time for a change,” she said, “A lot had happened and I felt like I needed a fresh start.”

Freshman Aida Elmaliki said she approached her big cut without apprehension. She also said the whole process let her confront her fears. “I was transcending beyond and shedding my former self,” said Elmaliki, “I was opening my eyes to a whole new world.”

Elmaliki stated that she welcomed her new hair with enthusiasm. “My head felt lighter and so did my conscious,” she said. “And I no longer had to put up with the upkeep of my long hair.”

Paradigm shift: a fundamental change in approach or underlying assumptions. A dramatic hair cut can bring this shift. And if you’re torn about whether to cut it all off, you can always “mullet” over.