Class of 2017 Marches through an Action-Packed Series of Graduation Events

Jack Stenger

Ready for What’s Next: Warrior Seniors Davis Baker, Raquel McDaniel, Sara Allaman and Clarence Hixon at the May 19 “Visions of the Future” event.

Friday, May 26, will mark the day when some 400 graduating North Atlanta seniors will walk down a wide aisle in grand exhibition hall in downtown Atlanta to ascend upon a stage to receive their diplomas. The much-awaited graduation ceremony will take place at the Georgia World Congress Center at 1 p.m.

For four years, seniors have been waiting for the day. The countless hours and endless stream of homework, community service hours, tests, end-of-course tests, projects, assignments, late nights and extra-curricular endeavors add up to show that all hard work has paid off for the Class of 2017.

For 10 years, math instructor Nan Hunter has been the coordinator of North Atlanta’s graduation ceremony. From this perch, she’s been able to notice the dominant feeling that seniors bring to the end of their high school years. “The best part is seeing how excited the seniors are to move on to college or other life paths,” she said.

On May 19, the Visions of the Future program will be held in the school gymnasium. Since the Georgia World Congress Center is off campus, the annual Visions event serves as more of an on-campus “in house” graduation ceremony. On their own campus, in the building that has seen four years of their effort, Warrior seniors listen to inspiring speeches from among their senior-class peers and they reflect on the many visions that seniors have for life beyond high school.

Class of 2017 activities will continue on Monday, May 22, with the Senior Breakfast that will be held at Mount Paran Church at 2055 Mt. Paran Road NW, just down the road from North Atlanta. On Tuesday, May 23, seniors will travel to Main Event entertainment center for a fun day of bowling, laser tag and arcade gaming.

On Wednesday, May 24, the formal dress rehearsal will be held at the Georgia World Congress Center. During this event the Class of 2017 graduation photo will be taken. On graduation day, May 26, North Atlanta seniors will finally graduate and walk out as young adults ready to embark on new educational or career paths. For all Warriors, Graduation 2017 is the end of one road and the beginning of yet another.