Film Club Premiers at North Atlanta

+Sophomore+Aida+Elmaliki+leads+a+cinema+renaissance+at+North+Atlanta.+%0A

Jack Stenger

Sophomore Aida Elmaliki leads a cinema renaissance at North Atlanta.

There’s no shortage of clubs at North Atlanta, with organizations running the gamut from Book Club, Fashion Club, Key Club and Environmental Club. Each one appeals to different people and each allows members to explore different interests. A newly formed Film Club has made its grand premiere this year. The club centers around members watching movies and sharing their thoughts about the film afterwards. Members also analyze lesser-known aspects of films and weighing in on the deeper themes a film might offer.

Club members meet every Wednesday in Room 11159 from 4 to 6:15 p.m.  The group’s faculty sponsor is film and video instructor Ian Harris. Members decide what movie to watch and the fun picks up from there. Due to the vast number of movie genres, there’s no shortage of viewing options for members to select. Attendees bring snacks and drinks to enjoy while viewing, there are lively discussions about things like plot, favorite quotes, and acting performances.  

Sophomore Aida Elmaliki is the club’s president and founder. She said she started the club because she loves how movies evoke a different response from viewers based on their personal experiences. “I have always loved watching films and I wanted to share the experience with others and hear their different perspectives,” she said.  

The Film Club’s success is proof that there’s demand for such an organization. Just in its first year, it always has 20 members. Recently members have watched “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind” and “Scott Pilgrim vs the World.” Every week, there’s a focus on a new genre and the current movie-going is centering on cinema classics.   

Sophomore Emily Dachiardi has enjoyed the organization so far. “We get to understand the film in a different way as it changes from the usual individual experience to a group activity that generates a lot of discussion,” she said.

Film Club offers a way to appreciate old and new films and helps members view movies from the perspective of different people. The club may not have reclinable seats and popcorn machines, but if you enjoy watching and critiquing movies, then it’s lights, camera, and take action to join the Film club.