NAHS Foreign Exchange Student Cites the Bonds That Unite

For non-U.S. citizens who are newly arrived in America, adapting to the fast-paced environment in this country can be strenuous. And what could be more fast-paced than life at any American high school? Cultural exchanges are not only exciting, but they also benefit the common good. The foreign exchange years give those who take it the opportunity to learn a second language. The exchange also creates beneficial cross-cultural interactions that advance the society of the host country and the country that sends out students.

At North Atlanta, these cross-cultural exchanges take place through the school’s host family Program. The program’s goal is to break down cultural barriers and to promote cultural understanding.  Although students from different countries come from different backgrounds, exchange programs help students to see and understand the common traits that unite them.

NAHS exchange student, Fabiola Neuhauser, is from Austria and has been in Georgia since September 12. Neuhauser says she is enjoying her first visit in the States and is working on her English as she navigates the hallways and classroom of her new school. Beyond her native German, Neuhauser speaks English and some Italian.

Despite having been in America for less than two months, Neuhauser already has some very distinct impressions. “I think my favorite thing is the food and that teens here are independent from their parents,” she said. “You all are really lucky that you get to drive on your own when you turn 16.”

Neuhauser said her least favorite thing thus far is the drinking water in Atlanta, “I’m afraid to say it but the water here kind of taste like chlorine,” she said. She cites another contrast, comparing green energy movements between Austria and the U.S, saying, “Back home, there’s just no such thing as a nuclear power plants.”

Several similarities between the two countries stood out to Neuhauser though, as she said that pets are treated like family members, sports and recreation activities are popular, and drivers like to get around in cars.

Fabiola Neuhauser lives with junior Cecilia Vuicich and freshman Gabby Vuicich and will stay in Atlanta until the end of the school year.

If you are interested in hosting an exchange student, ask Grade Level Academy Leader Jill Stewart for opportunities.