Stairwells and Elevators: Progress or Problem?

Since the beginning of the school year at North Atlanta, there have been plenty of logistical challenges. When a renovated corporate headquarters becomes a learning center for more than 1,600 students, issues are expected surrounding exactly how to get to class in an 11-storie building.

It was to be expected that NAHS would have a few logistical hiccups during the new year in a new school building. The elevators have been a definite source of excitement. (I mean: How many schools have two sets of elevator banks?) But imagine my surprise when we were told we were only allowed to use the elevators if we were only going up or down more than four floors. And when we arrived to school to find how slow the elevators were, it was more than a little bit upsetting. Some of our teachers have told us the elevators are “smart” elevators that will become more efficient and faster over time. So far, I must say, I’m not impressed.

A brief survey of the North Atlanta school body revealed that many students share similar sentiments about the elevators.

The students were asked:

● On a scale of one to five (one being faster than greased lightning and five being slower than molasses) how slow are the elevators?

● Have you ever been late to class due to congestion in the stairway or elevators?

After surveying 30 students, the vast majority felt that the elevators are far, far too slow. And of the 30 students, 29 said they have been late to class because of congestion in the elevators and stairways.

One individual commented, “The problem with the stairways and elevators is there are too many people, so it’s hard to get to class on time. I mean, since they changed the amount of time we have to get class there’s been less people with tardies, but you know it depends on the type of student. Really the big problem is too many people crammed into one place.”

Recently, 27 students crammed into one elevator after lunch, causing the Elevator F to get stuck for 57 minutes with the students inside. In response to the continuous elevator abuse, Dr. Taylor, NAHS Principal, held a short PSA saying that there are to be no more than 15 students on one elevator. If there are more than 15 students on an elevator, and it gets stuck, Taylor said that the students on the elevator will be required to pay the $3,000 dollar repair fee themselves.

The best way for everyone to get to class on time (safely) is if the “smart” elevators and students get a little bit smarter. Hopefully, the elevators will learn the schedules better and students will be more rational about the number of students on an elevator.

Will it happen? Well: Just like elevators, the whole issue is an up and down proposition.