Excessive Homework: Please Make It Stop

Sophomore+Roxana+Medellin+is+hoping+that+teachers+can+let+up+on+excessive+homework.+

Dennis Racket

Sophomore Roxana Medellin is hoping that teachers can let up on excessive homework.

It’s annoying how sometimes teachers forget that as students we have more than one classes and a life out of school. Homework is not a deal breaker but excessive homework, please.

School is stressful enough as it is alone, but having a homework after homework is beyond stressful. As students, we understand that homework is to help us practice and learn outside of school, but as young people, we have jobs to get to or siblings to help or just have dinner with our families without having to worry about the tons of homework we have waiting in our bags haunting us and waiting for us to stay up till 12 in the morning just to complete only a fraction of what we need to get done.

Teachers… It’s so easy for you to do. You pile on homework for us but where is the consideration that we have other things to do? Show some humanity and just for a moment step into our shoes. You were young once … right?. We have jobs. We have other classes. And — yes every now and then but it’s rare these days because there’s no time. We might even have a relationship. Is that allowed?

Then there’s this. We also know that teachers complain about how much papers they have to grade. Okay… Forgive my candor but you know that’s really annoying. So why do it? Then there are times teachers assign homework and say it’s due next class period and then they don’t even collect it at all and leading to the point that they don’t even give us a grade for it. Is this some game? Are they teasing us?

Back when we were younger, around about eighth grade, our visions of high school were idyllic and we thought these days would resemble the movie “High School Musical.” Well can we all agree that movie has been cruelly idolized and it’s more like “Nightmare on Northside Parkway.” If only there were singing and dancing in the hallways. Instead we have the daily and nightly weight of more excessive homework.

I’m not saying we shouldn’t have homework, not at all. All I’m saying is that instead of having to do homework for nonstop hours we could be learning how to cook, draw, or even learning how to play the piano. Homework is to help us, not stop us from our lives out of school.  At the end of the day we all can agree to sing, “We’re soarin’, flying. There’s not a star in heaven that we can’t reach. If we’re tryin’, so we’re breakin’ free” from excessive homework!