The Silver Stars Shine Bright Across North Atlanta

Shining Bright: The Silver Stars make every halftime memorable at North Atlanta football games. On Aug. 31, at halftime during the KIPP Atlanta game on Aug. 31, junior Hyatt Sabree, freshman Autumn Jennings and sophomore Briya Simpson were the embodiment of grace and precision.

The Silver Stars are the dance troupe connected to the North Atlanta Marching Warriors. The ultra-selective group is comprised of some of the school’s strongest dancers. At football games they light up Grady Stadium with their shimmering red costumes that they don as they take on their sophisticated choreographed routines.

The Silver Stars coach is an accomplished dancer herself. Jordan Carter, a Class of 2009 graduate of North Atlanta, was a Silver Star during high school and even captained the squad during her senior year. During college at Alabama State University in Montgomery she danced for the school’s Stingettes, where she also was a captain. As a young professional in the community, she wanted to come back a teach young dancers some of what she’s learned over the years. “They are really talented young ladies and I just want to help them get as far a possible in life,” she said. .

This year’s squad of 15 girls is led by captains senior Alayna Smoot, junior Traniece Franklin  and sophomore Briya Simpson. Last year the Stars were strong, and they even garnered awards at competitions, including at the Southern Regional Stepping Championship in Oct. 15. During the ultra-competitive event, North Atlanta’s best placed first in color guard, or flag spinning, and second in dancing. This year team members say they plan on setting their goals even higher.

The grind doesn’t stop when school ends, the team goes to summer dance camps, and other workshops in order to prepare for its season. The season includes weekly performances at the North Atlanta football games where they showcase to the fan section of the school. The troupe also perform in local and regional competitions, like the Ultimate Band Clash which this year will take place in the spring, and the Vanguard, which will take place in October. Sophomore Briya Simpson is excited for their competition season to start so she and her peers can show off her talent. “Let’s just put it this way: the competition doesn’t know what to expect this year,” she said.

When you go to North Atlanta football games this year don’t forget to look out for these glimmering stars because they guarantee an awesome performance that you will not forget.