Filed under News

Stan Lee’s Death Means No More Marvel Cameos

The True Superhero: The world stands in silent mourning for Marvel's creator and comic book writer, Stan Lee.

The Wrap

In the newest installment of Marvel Entertainment’s popular “Avengers” franchise, “Avengers: Infinity War,” fans were crushed after witnessing many beloved Marvel characters pass on after Thanos’ death quest. On Nov. 12, Stan Lee, the creator of many of these superheroes in the Marvel Universe such as X-Men, Spider-Man and Thor, passed away at the age of 95.

Born Stanley Martin Lieber in 1922, Lee worked in a myriad of careers as a comic book writer, editor, publisher, media producer, television host, actor and voice actor. Famous for his cameos in the movies he worked tirelessly to create, Lee started out as an office boy at Marvel Comics. His ingenious characters flipped it from a small subdivision in a company to an international corporation, which is why his death impacted such a large number of people.

Many kids grew up collecting comic books and spent their Sunday afternoons poring over the drawings with fascination and, by the 2010s, the creation of the Marvel cinematic universe allowed for an even greater outlet for their interest in superheroes. Lee was majorly responsible for that excitement because of his crucial role in the studio and his development of unique characters.

After he passed, many people realized that there would be no more cameo film appearances by the creator, nor would there be any more of Lee’s short jokes and digs buried in the storylines. “Honestly, it really got to me,” said freshman Jordan Williams, “That was my whole childhood and I can’t believe the genius behind all of it is gone.”

Many are still in shock over Lee’s death because he was seen as timeless. It is hard to imagine someone who has always affected your life suddenly disappearing one day, especially someone with that level of influence. Not only kids in high school, but also adults and professionals feel similarly. “He was supposed to live forever, you know,” said English teacher Casey Christenson.

Because of Lee’s passing, both Marvel and their huge fan base have been shifted off of their axes. People are overwhelmed by the sudden loss of an icon and with that has also come a loss of childhood. But, Lee and his legacy will not be forgotten because of what he has left for thousands of superhero fans and the massive company.