North Star: Where North Atlanta’s Talented Students Shine Bright

Warriors Got Talent: North Atlanta Students showcase their talents in the annual talent show

It’s that time of year again! Every September, the talented students of North Atlanta come together and put on a showcase to dazzle their peers, giving them a show unlike any other. From sophomore Ellie Hodgson’s passionate monologue to senior Lenox Johnson’s chilling rendition of “idontwannabeyouanymore” by Billie Eilish, the 2019 production of North Star had everything one could possibly want and more. 

While in previous years North Star was simply a showcase of talent, this year, things were kicked up a notch. For the first time in the show’s history, North Star 2019 was a competition. A panel of qualified judges watched as North Atlanta’s finest performers competed to earn the grand prize: a professional studio recording session with Grammy award-winning producers at the Music Education Group. The new competition was hosted and sponsored by local radio station “Hot 107.9.”

The show featured many stand-out moments. While the judges were making their final decision, aspiring rapper Stan Genius performed a short set of original songs complete with background dancers and lighting effects. While certainly entertaining, audience members had mixed feelings about Genius’s performance.  “It was different than my taste and his performance was very bold,” said senior Tom Billips, who also was a show performer. “He entertained the audience though, so props to him.” 

After Genius was finished, the representative from “Hot 107.9” brought all the performers back on stage and announced the winners. The competition was tight but the judges presented their top three as such: In third place, was sophomore Memphis Tweedell who blew the audience away with his guitar cover of “Classical Gas” by Mason Williams. Second place went to Brendan Weinbaum, a perennial North Star veteran. This year the talented junior stunned audiences with an original composition on piano. 

However, the show-stopping number the judges deemed as the winner was junior Destini Togba’s slowed down cover of “Creep” by Radiohead. Togba, a first-time performer at North Star, said she was thrilled about her win and she looks forward to seeing where her performing career will take her. “I couldn’t believe that I actually won,” she said. “I was so surprised and I’m so excited for this opportunity that the judges gave me.” 

The fourth installation of North Star was an unqualified success and with the competition element added in, it’s clear that the school’s own version of “North Atlanta’s Got Talent” is becoming the brightest star around.