Locked and Loaded: Warrior Star Athletes Are Committed

Bella Rocchio

College Commits: Seniors Sam Bivens and James Brewer look forward to continuing their athletic careers in college.

For years, there has been no shortage of talent among Dubs student athletes. Past Warriors have been signed by numerous colleges and universities, ranging from D1 to D3 athletic programs, and all have put in the blood, sweat, and tears to make this post-secondary play a lived-out reality. This year is no different, with talented football prospects like Wiley Hartley and Wesley Horton catching many recruiters’ eyes. Half a dozen Dubs in various sports have already committed to universities around the country. 

Among these talented athletes is lacrosse defenseman James Brewer. A four- year varsity veteran, Brewer has announced his commitment to Furman University to play lacrosse at the Division 1 level. He has gotten offers from other schools, the most prestigious one being with D1 school University of Maryland, Baltimore County. In the end though, he chose Furman because of the stellar coaching staff, its location in the South, and its beautiful campus. “For those who make it, playing at the collegiate level can be challenging,” he said. “I really take the nod as a validation of the leadership I’ve been able to provide plus my commitment to the game.”

Another one of North Atlanta’s accomplished student athletes is soccer star Sam Biven. He has committed to Providence College, a Division 1 school in the Big East Conference. Biven also received offers from Columbia University and Coastal Carolina University. He said he chose Providence because of its overall good atmosphere, its D1 status, and its impressive coaching staff. Although Biven played on North’s varsity team his freshman and sophomore years, he was barred from playing his junior and senior years in accordance with his contract with the U.S. Olympic Development Team and U.S. Development Academy. These leagues are made up of the best soccer players from the state and nation, helping the players hone their skills and compete in nationwide competitions. Biven hopes to one day play pro, but plans to go into business if it doesn’t work out. But for now, he is ready for the next level and ecstatic to see what his college chapter will hold. “It’s something I’ve always been passionate about,” he said. “It’s always been the fun thing to do and to be able to continue playing at the collegiate level is a big thing for me right now.”

While many Warrior athletes are still undecided on their college future, lacrosse defenseman James Brewer and soccer winger Sam Biven are locked and loaded. Their hard work in high school has paid off and they are now ready for the next chapter. Congrats to all our signed athletes of the class of 2020. May there be many more! Go Dubs!