Game, Set, Match: Varsity Girls Tennis Looks to Earn State Title

Game+Set+Match%3A+The+Girls+Varsity+Tennis+team+creates+a+racket+this+season+%28Left+to+Right%29+Juniors+Rebie+Benedict%2C+Leeza+Kurtz%2C+Isabel+Carter+

Be

Game Set Match: The Girls Varsity Tennis team creates a racket this season (Left to Right) Juniors Rebie Benedict, Leeza Kurtz, Isabel Carter

The serve. The return. The win. That was the season last year for the Lady Warriors varsity tennis team. With a stellar 7-2 regular season record in 2019, the Warriors went into the state tournament looking strong. They made it all the way to the Final Four before losing to rival Northview in the semi-finals. This year, the Dubs are looking to amp up their game. With nationally ranked powerhouses Leeza Kurtz and Kate Sharabura, the Dubs are sure to make it far. But the question remains: can the Dubs win state?

Sophomore Rebie Benedict is a veteran of the varsity tennis team. A state ranked player, Benedict’s talent was apparent to coaches Mike Hutchings and De’Andra McPhail. Her freshman year, she played line two doubles with fellow freshman teammate Isabel Carter. This year, she is playing line one doubles with the same partner and hopes that she can contribute to the success of the team. She is thrilled for the season and can’t wait to see the team go places. “Our lineup is looking really strong this season so we’re pretty psyched about that,” she said.

Senior Dannie Evans is a four year varsity starter for the Warriors. She has helped the Dubs tremendously over the past three years and is ready to make senior season her best season. Standing at 5’9, Evans easily puts away any shot that comes her way. The doubles line two player is confident that North Atlanta will pull out wins and make it to the Final Four and beyond. Being her last season of high school tennis, Evans is a little bittersweet about leaving, as she will miss the friends she has made immensely. But she speaks highly of her many seasons as a varsity Dub and looks forward to continuing the magic during her senior season. “It’s sad that I’m leaving and I’m going to miss my fellow teammates, but I’ve had an amazing four years as a Warrior.” she said.

The tennis Dubs are no strangers to success on the court, but the money question is this: can they go all the way this year? Can the Dubs win state? With strong players like Rebie Benedict and Danny Evans, this season is sure to be a season to never forget.