Taking the “Subway” Towards Teenage Employment

Official Subway Logo

When we’re young, we’re in our prime years. But still, there can be challenges to youth–and getting a job is one of them. With youth unemployment as high as it is, I know that I’m lucky to have a job. The story behind how I got my position is noteworthy. It’s not a case of following my intuition, but rather, following my stomach.

In May of last year, my brother and I were both at home, and: We were hungry. (We’re teenagers, after all.) The best way to get rid of hunger pangs is not by raiding the refrigerator, but by going out to eat. Our restaurant of choice? The Subway on Bolton Road.  Once we walked in, I ordered my usual, foot-long turkey, American cheese, Italian bread toasted with lettuce, tomato, salt, oil, mayo and honey mustard. Nothing too specific, right? I finished it off with cheddar Sun Chips and a refreshing Sprite that pleasingly gushed out of the fountain dispenser. It all really hit the spot!

While I was wolfing down my food, a thought went through my head. (This proves I can eat and think about things other than food at the same time.) The thought was: “I need a job.” I asked an employee if the Subway was hiring. This future colleague, an older worker, was full of questions. “Are you a good worker?” “Have you worked before?” “How old are you?” After answering all of her questions in a manner I guess was satisfactory, she motioned me on to speak to the manager.

I suppose my impromptu interview went well, because about a week later, this frequent Subway customer had transformed into a Subway employee, complete with a company t-shirt, hat and apron. I started off just cleaning, and not making any sandwiches. That was probably a good idea. In the beginning, it was hard for me to make a peanut butter and jelly. But things quickly changed.

Now, just under a year later, I’m fourth in line on the store management structure, just behind the owner, manager, and a seasoned employee. I enjoy going to work because I know pretty much everything. I’m good with customers, the pay is decent and I eat for free. And no, I never get tired of the Chicken Bacon Ranch footlong.

I work with one of my friends from school, and my brother, who is a North Atlanta High School student, as well. My manager is even spreading the Subway love to my family. They get a family discount on meals and sandwiches each time they come by.

My job is paying off–literally and metaphorically. Work is fun and I enjoy it. I use my time to do something positive, and I also make money that’s needed for my expenses. My advice to high school students is to find a job, find something that suits you, and to follow your gut. Or – as it was in my case – follow your stomach. You never know where that might take you.