An Upperclassman Newcomer’s Perspective of NAHS

I’m a comparative newcomer to the North Atlanta Warrior community. I’m a junior here but prior to attending North Atlanta, I attended two other high schools. During my sophomore year I attended Maynard Jackson High School. I’m glad to report – I’m proud to report – that I am very content where I am now, and I know with assurance that this school – our school, my school – is my permanent home. If someone were to ask me if I liked being a North Atlanta student, my answer would be, “of course.” I consider being at this school a privilege, particularly since I transferred here from other schools that did not provide me with satisfactory experiences. I can come up with several reasons why North Atlanta High is the school for me.

I love the positive energy that I feel from my fellow students. The day that I first stepped foot on the polished floors of our building, I felt immediately welcome. There were smiles and polite gestures that greeted me. That day in first period, I sat in the back of the classroom quietly and an upperclassman female student approached me. I didn’t know what to think as she came forward, but I quickly learned about the Warrior spirit. “Hi! Are you new here? What’s your name?” she said.

From that day forward, I no longer migrated to the back of the classroom. I did not feel like a new student for long because the students I encountered were so friendly and I was able to become comfortable with everyone and adapt to the new environment easily. That was the first kind gesture that I experienced but it was definitely not the last.

Another wonderful aspect about being a student at North Atlanta High School is walking in and being able to see the beautiful sunshine streaming through the floor-to-ceiling windows. The views here are amazing! Glass windows outline the entire main hallway of all 11 stories of our school. Outside our windows is our glistening lake, a placid body of water that is home to several geese, noble creatures who ripple through the water gracefully as they seek food or shelter, always moving, and giving this sometimes-sleepy junior ample cause for daydreaming. (“I wonder what it would be like to be out there …?”)

The panoramic views of the surrounding areas are breathtaking and from our windows you can see our immediate campus, the Cumberland Mall area, the expansive tree canopy of Buckhead and, in the distance, the towering skyscraper spires of downtown Atlanta. What a view!

This positive environment of our tall, modern building, the friendly students, and the great teachers make school a much more interesting place to be. I can truly say that I enjoy being a North Atlanta Warrior.