Art Student Adamson Wins Prestigious Congressional Art Award

North Atlanta student James Adamson was recently awarded the prestigious 5th Congressional District of Georgia Art Award.

The NAHS senior received his award during a ceremony held on Friday, April 18, at the Youth Art Connection Gallery on Auburn Avenue in Atlanta. The event, which attracted some of the strongest high school artists from around metro Atlanta, was hosted by U.S. Rep. John Lewis.

For the congressional competition, judges reviewed work from students from more than 30 high schools and Adamson’s work placed second. In addition to the award, he received a $7,000 scholarship from the Atlanta Art Institute. His work was a multimedia painting with wax and paint on photographic transfer.

Senior student Mak Furuta also had work in the congressional district competition. Both Adamson and Furuta were nominated by art teacher Natalie Brandhorst. The longtime art teacher, who has taught art at North Atlanta for 21 years, has high praise for Adamson. “He is driven and very dedicated and is always ready to take risks with his art,” she said. “He is by far the most artsy student I’ve had in the last 10 years and his engagement level far exceeds that of his peers in class.”

The exhibition of student art work will be displayed in the Youth Art Connection Gallery in downtown Atlanta until Friday, April 25.