Possible Bell Schedule Change to be Discussed at Community Meeting

A possible change in the North Atlanta High School day-to-day bell schedule will be discussed during a North Atlanta High community meeting on Monday.

The meeting will be held at 6:30 p.m. in the North Atlanta Theater on May 12.

The school current bell schedule is 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. The proposed change would have the bell schedule shift back by 15 minutes and would run from 8:45 a.m. to 3:45 p.m.

The possible bell change is aimed at addressing one of the biggest logistical challenges associated with the school’s move to its new campus. School bus drivers have encountered considerable traffic and congestion en route to Northside Parkway. Delays have meant a significant number of students arriving to school too late to make it on time to their first-period classes. These delays have meant many first year students have lost exposure to valuable instruction time.

Allison Hayes, PTSA co-president, who volunteers mornings at the school, has witnessed first-hand the daily influx of late-arriving busses and the harried students who have to scramble to make it to an already-in-progress class. “We have been privileged to be in this incredible new building but the traffic corridor we’re in has presented some problems. I’m personally convinced that a change in the bell schedule would be a real solution for these students,” she said. “We want to make sure that all voices on heard on this important matter, so we’re encouraging everyone to come out to discuss this possible change.”