On Watching an Older Brother Graduate from North Atlanta

In high school, there are moments you will remember and treasure forever: homecoming, senior prom, football games, and graduation. However, the one thing I know I’ll remember for a long time is watching my older brother walk at graduation this year as a member of the Class of 2014.

As many other students with older siblings know, it is an emotional moment to watch a brother or sister graduate. In my case, Joseph’s graduation will be an especially impactful event for me. It’s odd to know he’s not going to be there to annoy me in the hallway or ignore me at lunch. It’s going to be strange not to see him on the bus on the way to school, or to have him wake me up by shouting and banging on my door in the morning.

It’s also going to be sad to watch him cross that stage, symbolizing that he is no longer my teen brother, but now an “official” adult and high school graduate. I will now watch him go to college, and maybe eventually leave our home. I’ll watch him grow up, get a girlfriend, and maybe even lose time for me, his baby sister.

But I am so proud of him, and so impressed with how far he’s come. He has grown from “that weird kid” to a responsible, funny, and even handsome young man. He is not only my brother, but my inspiration and role model as well.

I have learned so much so far in my high school experience, but none more than this: We must cherish life and we must cherish the people we are given. I have learned to live life to the fullest and hold on to every memory I have.

In many ways,  the younger sibling has it the hardest because he must continually watch people move out of his life. But being the younger sibling has taught me that family is something we always hold close to our hearts. And this year, when I watch my older brother receive his diploma, I know I’ll be sad. But way more than that, I’ll be excited for his new life adventures. Here’s to the Class of 2014. And, Joseph, here’s to you!