Farewell to the Old Bell: Students Mourn Loss of Last School Year’s Bells

After a full school year listening to “Happy” and “24K Magic” to kick off transition, the new change in songs has left some Dubs grieving the bright pop songs.

Not too long ago the timeless classics of Bruno Mars and Pharrel Williams echoed throughout each of the 12 stories of North Atlanta. But now the arrival of the 22-23 school year has brought forth a new set of songs to start and end our instructional days. 

The old bells “24K Magic” and “Happy” were both staple sounds in our school. Bruno Mars, who used to start off our days, has now been replaced with an unnamed track. Pharrell Williams, who ended our long lasting days, has been swapped out for “Celebration”. Students have shown that they are not very happy and there is no 24K magic in the air with these new choices, as students have never had any say in what songs are chosen. “I’m not a fan of our new bells,” said Junior Janie Heller, “They sound like something that would be played at bingo night in a senior citizen center. 

The students’ lack of decision in choosing the bells has struck a chord with most. North Atlantas overall selection of songs skim the line of trying to represent the culture and enjoyment of their students. And the importance of getting to have their voices heard in learning environments should be a staple part of our inclusive community. “The new freshmen will never know the joy of hearing a 5’5” man telling them to put their pinky fingers to the moon. Heartbreaking.” said Junior Lizzie Hart. 

Now with this school year starting off so interestingly students ever get to clap along if they feel like a room without a roof again with the lack of decision given to them. The question we should be asking is ‘Will we forever be stuck in the dark ether of our school’s randomized song choice? Or will we finally get a say one day?’ Let us all take a moment of silence for our old bells and say a final farewell to Bruno and Pharell. May they one day make their comeback in the halls of North Atlanta.