The Thrills of Skills (USA)

Featuring film and art elements, the SkillsUSA club at NAHS is actively looking for new Warrior students to join their team.

The beginning of the school year brings many opportunities to get involved. One of these is the ability to join one of the many clubs NAHS has to offer. With so many choices, it can become a bit overwhelming. But whether you are looking to join a club or not, SkillsUSA is definitely one you’re going to want to look into learning about. Formed in 1965, this club is a great opportunity at North Atlanta.

SkillsUSA is a club that focuses on filmmaking and graphic design, mainly centered on subjects of art and film. Being a mostly student-run club, it is good for establishing employability habits as well as leadership skills among students. If you were thinking to yourself, “But wait, I have no experience in film or with graphic design! What am I going to do now?!” Well, fortunately enough, no prior experience is needed to join! Anyone is welcome, regardless of your skill level. The whole purpose of the club is to build upon what you can already do or to start fresh and work your way up. This is junior Shelby Terry’s first active year in the club, yet she is already running for the reporter position. “I’m just really hoping they accept me because I’m looking to be more active in the club this year,” said Terry.

SkillsUSA takes pride in giving its students opportunities to express themselves creatively. Students’ artwork can be showcased in contests, where students from different schools gather to compete and share their work. These competitions are not only a good way to present your work, but are also, according to Terry, a good way to make connections and participate in different activities regarding leadership. By winning these competitions, you can receive recognition for your work, money, and even scholarships. “No matter what, even if you don’t necessarily place, you’re still going to walk away with something,” said Terry.

As of now, their first meeting is planned to be held on September 8th. If you are interested in joining SkillsUSA, contact any of the four staff advisors: Shirley Guiteau, Derryl Johnson, Cedrick Howard, or Louis Alfred. Remember, anyone is welcome, so don’t hesitate to apply!